Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Love is Love

Last night I had just finished re-watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy where a lesbian wedding takes place and I couldn't help but wonder if my very Catholic grandmother would find it in her heart to attend my wedding if I fall in love with a woman. I don't want to get married without her there,but I don't want her to be there if she can't support me.


My grandmother has been there for me from the very beginning. She helped my mom raise me. She stayed nights with my in the hospital.She bombarded the doctors and nurses with countless questions.There's no doubt in my mind that she loves me and that she would lay down her life for me in an instant.


But will she love me as much if I fall in love with a woman? Will she find it in her heart to attend my wedding? Those were the questions that plagued my sleep last night.

I can't imagine getting married without her.Yet I don't think I could make the woman I love wait until my grandmother dies to get married.

I wish I could be certain that I would have her acceptance but I can't be. But I don't want to hide in the closet from her anymore. I want her to see that no matter who I love,that I am still her granddaughter.

That will never change.

1 comment:

  1. Neither will her love for you, sweetie. It's possible she might have some personal biases which she'll need some time to work through, but if they exist, she will work through them. They are her chains to break, not yours. Yours will be broken as soon as the words as spoken.
    Stay strong, speak true, live free!
    xoxo, DD

    ReplyDelete