Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fear of the unknown

Next week I'll be making an appointment with a new cardiologist. I am scared to death to do this. I have been with my pediatric cardiologist since I was 2,so for 23 years.He knows me and my medical history better than anyone else does (except my family) Having to transition to an adult cardiologist is nerve-wracking. I have an excellent relationship and rapport with my pediatric cardiologist and I don't know if I'll have that same thing with the new guy.

I know that this has to be done because my pediatric cardiologist isn't well educated in the issues surrounding aldults with complex CHD's.But the idea of leaving him and the office staff who I have grown to love and appreciate (especially my favorite Echo tech Penny) scares me to no end.

I wonder many things about the new guy.I wonder if we'll develop a good patient/doctor relationship.I wonder if we'll have a good rapport and I wonder if I'll trust him.I wonder what kinds of tests/procedures he'll want to run.I wonder if he'll want to do a cath so he has a better idea of my cardiac function.

Life is scary.Change is scary. But in this case it is a necessary change.That said I don't think I'll be able to relax until I have met the new guy and can see if we mesh well together as a doctor/patient relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment