Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sick of medical issues

Well I guess it's been awhile...

I ended up staying off Facebook for 5 full days. It was exhilarating and VERY much needed. I'm back on Facebook but I have decreased my involvement with these families for my own sanity. It has been easier now that I am not throwing my entire life into helping and supporting these families.

Well October brought MANY things. Recurrent Arrhythmia issues for one.I was having problems at least once every 2 weeks. Finally on October 11th I went into an Atrial Fibrillation episode that went on for 16 hours even with my medication. So on the 12th I called Cardio and he told me to go to the ER.

So to the ER we went. They didn't have a bed for me. So I had to wait...and wait...and wait some more. Finally they got me in to a room.I changed into a gown (such sexy gowns they are!) Then they hooked me up to a monitor and put me on o2 (despite my sats being at 98. Stupid hospital protocol)

Then it was IV time. My nurse only had to stick me once for the IV (Yay!) So then we waited for the respiratory team (There always has to be an anesthesiologist & a respiratory person in the room before the cordioversion is done) I was given the stuff to make me go to sleep. Later I would find out that I talked about flying and that I cursed out the beeping machines when I was totally out of it.

After it was done they made me wait two hours before I went home.However when I got home the Atrial Fibrillation started up again and it went on all night (By some miracle I was able to sleep through it) The next day I went in and out of it some more and my cardiologist upped my dose of beta blocker at least until I was able to see him.

3 days later I was in my cardiologist's office and he told me to eliminate the triggers for a month (Stress,Caffeine,MSG etc) and then to slowly one at a time reintroduce them back into my body. I had coffee for the first time in 5 weeks yesterday and no issues at all! The stress thing was something else however...

After talking to my family I decided to drop all of my classes.I hated having to do it but I just wasn't feeling well enough to do school. I was frustrated and annoyed that my heart had interrupted my life for the first time in several years.

Cardio also said that the AFib could also be caused by scar tissue and given how many time my chest had been cracked open,he wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason. Cardio also ordered an echo which I had done the following day. He just wanted to make sure that there was nothing new going on structurally with the heart.

He also sent up a referral to an Electrophysiologist-someone who deals with abnormal heart rhythms.I just recently got a call from the EP's office and I have an appointment December 5th. Cardio wants to see me after I see the EP so we can talk about the appointment.

I have an appointment with my primary care doctor this coming Monday to discuss a very painful lump on my wrist. I think it's a simple ganglion cyst as I have a history of ganglion cysts but this one hurts whereas the other ones did not.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving this year! For the first time EVER I am making the stuffing on my own!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment